I worked very hard to help elect Barack Obama and I am very proud that I did. I can’t wait for him to actually become President; Inauguration Day can not come soon enough. This year was the first time in my life that the person I wanted to become president actually won. Because of this, I have decided to trust him and, at the very least, wait until he is in the Oval Office before I start finding fault. However, his choice of Reverend Rick Warren to lead the invocation at Inauguration is very troubling.
When I studied the presidency of Franklin Roosevelt in graduate school, most scholars agreed that he was a wonderful president but that he had shown a deaf ear to the problems of African-Americans. There were various political reasons for this, but in hindsight it is a mark against his administration.
I believe that in the future historians will judge Barack Obama to have been a great president, but he will have a black mark against his administration because of his cluelessness around gay rights. I am sure that there are political reasons for his choice of Rick Warren but he and his team underestimated or were unaware of the deep disapproval the choice would generate among gays and their supporters. It is a mistake, his first. We can only hope that he will learn form his mistakes and understand that the position of gays in American society is a civil right issue.
If you have any doubts about the meaning and importance of gay rights, go see Milk. The film is amazing and reaffirms the need for ongoing action and commitment to the struggle for equality for all Americans.
- Subscribe via RSS
What I am Doing
- Went back to skating after 2 week hiatus due to sprained ankle/foot. It wasn't so easy but I did it. #GetUp about 16 hours ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I went to the one in Amherst and then to the annual sustainability fair. Unbelievable that in 2017 science has to b… https://t.co/g33h1XdRQu 11:04:49 AM April 22, 2017 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New blog post - Louis's Pyjama's - https://t.co/cnMM5C608s 12:26:53 PM April 21, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest. Trump is the chief imbecile. #Resist https://t.co/oFsLOYnk9J 09:13:12 AM April 20, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- When I hear the word "armada" I think of the Spanish Armada from 1588. Donald Trump is an idiot. #Resist 08:57:19 AM April 20, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Todd is being a jerk and is not being a very good friend. #MyBigFatFabulousLife 09:07:06 PM April 18, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Too exhausted from driving back from D.C. yesterday to tweet. Oops! 09:21:26 AM April 18, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite