I worked very hard to help elect Barack Obama and I am very proud that I did. I can’t wait for him to actually become President; Inauguration Day can not come soon enough. This year was the first time in my life that the person I wanted to become president actually won. Because of this, I have decided to trust him and, at the very least, wait until he is in the Oval Office before I start finding fault. However, his choice of Reverend Rick Warren to lead the invocation at Inauguration is very troubling.
When I studied the presidency of Franklin Roosevelt in graduate school, most scholars agreed that he was a wonderful president but that he had shown a deaf ear to the problems of African-Americans. There were various political reasons for this, but in hindsight it is a mark against his administration.
I believe that in the future historians will judge Barack Obama to have been a great president, but he will have a black mark against his administration because of his cluelessness around gay rights. I am sure that there are political reasons for his choice of Rick Warren but he and his team underestimated or were unaware of the deep disapproval the choice would generate among gays and their supporters. It is a mistake, his first. We can only hope that he will learn form his mistakes and understand that the position of gays in American society is a civil right issue.
If you have any doubts about the meaning and importance of gay rights, go see Milk. The film is amazing and reaffirms the need for ongoing action and commitment to the struggle for equality for all Americans.
- Subscribe via RSS
What I am Doing
- Viola Davis gave an amazing speech #Oscars about 8 hours ago from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- My ice coach's team, Team Excel SC of Boston, just won a bronze medal. #SynchroChamps17 04:25:06 PM February 25, 2017 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MMFlint: Members of the DNC: Millions of us are counting on u this morning 2 elect Congressman Keith Ellison as the new chair of the De… 08:58:58 AM February 25, 2017 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Phil Murphy is right. Watching Trump and Bannon is like watching the rise of Adolf Hitler. https://t.co/8pGW4tf6T8 #ResistTrump 10:19:54 PM February 24, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New blog post - Beer Tourism - https://t.co/g78mlXGFRP 04:04:03 PM February 24, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I thought #NashvilleCMT wasn't supposed to be a soap opera anymore. Really melodramatic ending regarding @conniebritton. 12:09:06 AM February 24, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I have just posted a video of me giving a talk on bourbon in London, June, 2013. https://t.co/kuAaVamV0a 02:44:35 PM February 23, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite