I worked very hard to help elect Barack Obama and I am very proud that I did. I can’t wait for him to actually become President; Inauguration Day can not come soon enough. This year was the first time in my life that the person I wanted to become president actually won. Because of this, I have decided to trust him and, at the very least, wait until he is in the Oval Office before I start finding fault. However, his choice of Reverend Rick Warren to lead the invocation at Inauguration is very troubling.
When I studied the presidency of Franklin Roosevelt in graduate school, most scholars agreed that he was a wonderful president but that he had shown a deaf ear to the problems of African-Americans. There were various political reasons for this, but in hindsight it is a mark against his administration.
I believe that in the future historians will judge Barack Obama to have been a great president, but he will have a black mark against his administration because of his cluelessness around gay rights. I am sure that there are political reasons for his choice of Rick Warren but he and his team underestimated or were unaware of the deep disapproval the choice would generate among gays and their supporters. It is a mistake, his first. We can only hope that he will learn form his mistakes and understand that the position of gays in American society is a civil right issue.
If you have any doubts about the meaning and importance of gay rights, go see Milk. The film is amazing and reaffirms the need for ongoing action and commitment to the struggle for equality for all Americans.
- Subscribe via RSS
What I am Doing
- I hate losing an earring. #FirstWorldProblems 12:11:25 PM March 23, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Adam Schiff is speaking very impressively at his press conference. We need an independent investigation into Trump and Russia. #ResistTrump 04:14:26 PM March 22, 2017 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The Republicans should not be allowed to get away with stealing a Supreme Court seat. #NoGorsuch… https://t.co/SjvA1T4SsY 04:58:26 PM March 21, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The Republicans are completely despicable. They stole a Supreme Court seat and now they want to ram through Gorsuch. #ResistTrump 02:22:53 PM March 20, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Trey Gowdy is a clown and a total tool. #ComeyHearing #ResistTrump 02:20:42 PM March 20, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- He is a fascist who should be impeached. #ResistTrump https://t.co/AtGS6jNzDl 12:50:38 PM March 20, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Cheap beer in San Diego - https://t.co/BGhTBdHAJ3 02:41:44 PM March 19, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite