I worked very hard to help elect Barack Obama and I am very proud that I did. I can’t wait for him to actually become President; Inauguration Day can not come soon enough. This year was the first time in my life that the person I wanted to become president actually won. Because of this, I have decided to trust him and, at the very least, wait until he is in the Oval Office before I start finding fault. However, his choice of Reverend Rick Warren to lead the invocation at Inauguration is very troubling.
When I studied the presidency of Franklin Roosevelt in graduate school, most scholars agreed that he was a wonderful president but that he had shown a deaf ear to the problems of African-Americans. There were various political reasons for this, but in hindsight it is a mark against his administration.
I believe that in the future historians will judge Barack Obama to have been a great president, but he will have a black mark against his administration because of his cluelessness around gay rights. I am sure that there are political reasons for his choice of Rick Warren but he and his team underestimated or were unaware of the deep disapproval the choice would generate among gays and their supporters. It is a mistake, his first. We can only hope that he will learn form his mistakes and understand that the position of gays in American society is a civil right issue.
If you have any doubts about the meaning and importance of gay rights, go see Milk. The film is amazing and reaffirms the need for ongoing action and commitment to the struggle for equality for all Americans.
- Subscribe via RSS
What I am Doing
- I was there. It was awesome. #Yankees https://t.co/lbYnCZbSPu about 14 hours ago from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Everyone in the @NFL needs to #TakeAKnee, tell the league to protect the right to protest! https://t.co/6HjNu0Sln0 via @ColorOfChange 06:35:19 PM September 24, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I want my reps @SenMarkey @SenWarren to go on the record supporting full funding for foreign aid. #GlobalCitizen 07:41:48 PM September 23, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #FLOOD Tweet World Leaders and Ask Them to Help Millions Affected by Recent Hurricanes and... https://t.co/51SkmEb7l6 #globalcitizen 07:40:45 PM September 23, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- "WCTU becomes Center for Women’s History and Leadership" https://t.co/HwVHPctZU7 07:01:16 PM September 23, 2017 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #Yankees are going to the post season for the 53rd time. Go Yankees! 06:04:32 PM September 23, 2017 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New Blog Post - Always Taxes - https://t.co/feyFmSmTuS #taxes 02:10:49 PM September 22, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite