I worked very hard to help elect Barack Obama and I am very proud that I did. I can’t wait for him to actually become President; Inauguration Day can not come soon enough. This year was the first time in my life that the person I wanted to become president actually won. Because of this, I have decided to trust him and, at the very least, wait until he is in the Oval Office before I start finding fault. However, his choice of Reverend Rick Warren to lead the invocation at Inauguration is very troubling.
When I studied the presidency of Franklin Roosevelt in graduate school, most scholars agreed that he was a wonderful president but that he had shown a deaf ear to the problems of African-Americans. There were various political reasons for this, but in hindsight it is a mark against his administration.
I believe that in the future historians will judge Barack Obama to have been a great president, but he will have a black mark against his administration because of his cluelessness around gay rights. I am sure that there are political reasons for his choice of Rick Warren but he and his team underestimated or were unaware of the deep disapproval the choice would generate among gays and their supporters. It is a mistake, his first. We can only hope that he will learn form his mistakes and understand that the position of gays in American society is a civil right issue.
If you have any doubts about the meaning and importance of gay rights, go see Milk. The film is amazing and reaffirms the need for ongoing action and commitment to the struggle for equality for all Americans.
- Subscribe via RSS
What I am Doing
- New blog post: "Re-post: The Road from Repeal: The Three-Tier System" https://t.co/RrsZ8o7WUD #GOPTaxScam about 1 hour ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @nprscottsimon It doesn't actually make sense. Is she saying she wants everyone to be as miserable as her? #ResistTrump #ResistFascism about 2 hours ago from Twitter Web Client in reply to nprscottsimon ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @rockerskating @MichelleWKwan @olyphil Beautiful spiral. What would her score be under the current system? She singled several jumps about 17 hours ago from Twitter Web Client in reply to rockerskating ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It's an epidemic. #MeToo https://t.co/1Hr1df2UsN 07:29:48 PM December 13, 2017 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #ResistTrump #ResistFascism https://t.co/ZGWxorhZWm 01:32:12 AM December 13, 2017 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @HardballChris On what issue do you think Doug Jones should vote Republican? Taxes? Repeal of Obamacare? Abortion?… https://t.co/HwenvFHgGw 12:35:37 AM December 13, 2017 from Twitter for Android in reply to HardballChris ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Tears in my eyes watching Doug Jones. Yes we can. #ResistTrump #ResistFascism 11:02:46 PM December 12, 2017 from Twitter for Android ReplyRetweetFavorite